St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Bread of Life, Food for the Journey

The circle of life.  It is a truth that no one can deny.

Today, at my twenty-third first communion practice with my class, a funeral was being prepared around us.  I will say, this is the first time in all these years, I’ve had to abbreviate my practice due to a funeral at our church.   We managed, but, like the photographer said, it’s “the circle of life”.  We have these beautiful young children preparing for their first holy communion, receiving the bread of life for the first time, and a man who in his final hours of life on earth, received “Viaticum” food for the journey, his final communion bidding him farewell on angels wings to eternity.

It’s moments like this that help put things straight – priorities. 

Such events bring such solemn realization of how petty and selfish we can be at ever turn.  How frivolous and ridiculous we can be about things we place such importance on.  What are those things? Are they really so terribly important??

I’ve have recently dealt with a long two weeks of super stressed moments; family difficulties, relationship problems, tough decision making when it comes to work, school, my husband’s business plans and parenting.  So, to encounter the utter inconvenience of a funeral infringing upon my first communion class preparations, photos and practice, is very sobering indeed.

Who am I anyway?  Just an instrument in God’s hands.  A crooked person God can write straight with.  That is all.  And yet, that is every thing.  Every thing HE needs and desires from me.  And so it is.

I pray for Eddie, Olivia, Colin, Miles, Dominic, Trent, Abby, Aiden, and  Nathan, as they receive holy communion for the first time tomorrow, and will do so for the rest of their lives.  And I pray for the repose of the soul of our dear parishioner who left this earth to continue onto his journey in eternity. Life, death.  There’s no getting out of this life alive.  But for those of us that believe in eternal life, we will be more alive than we ever have been once God calls us to our heavenly home.

First Combanner2014

No comments: