St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday…Talk the talk, Walk the walk

Yesterday was the feast day of St. Francis de Sales.  A saint I so admire and came to recognize early on my life as I was taught at our Catholic school by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, as well as the Sisters belonging to the order of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.  Such wonderful memories I have of the religious that taught us in both grade school and high school.

When we decided to home school, our Catholic educations played a large role in that decision. The quality of education, being thoroughly Catholic and classical appealed to us greatly.  Because of the decline of many Catholic school systems and our out of the way location, home schooling looked like a very viable educational pursuit for our family.  Having followed the Modg way of school for over 16 years now, I can say how pleased I am with the results and how formed my children are in those things St. Thomas Aquinas exhorts, such as beauty, nobility, integrity.   

This is the first year, unfortunately, none of my family members were able to attend the March for Life in Washington DC, which is mobilizing now.  My son that suffers OCD/anxiety, would find it difficult if not nearly impossible to take a long bus ride to DC, although he could endure the March itself as he has the strength.  But driving is not his strong point ……maybe that will change as he learns to drive himself.  We pray our rosary for those giving up the time and taking the long trip there to serve as the visual voices for the those unable to protect themselves.

I think of St. Thomas, and St. Francis de Sales this day as I think about the protection of human life.  How they must be praying in the body of the communion of saints for the help we need to end this terrible holocaust that continues on for 40 years now.  In our Catholic grade school back in the early 70s, I remember writing letters to our senators and congress to not *allow* legal abortion to happen.  The Sisters helped us, and we the children wrote – we got back many responses saying we are fighting it!   That fight continues today.

I think about how I as an individual have lived most of my life with abortion being legal.  How I have personally known several women who have had abortions.  How some day, it may be abolished and our children won’t be living most of their lives with it looming there in the darkness, but instead life giving and sustaining policies will be in place. 

May God bless all those fighting the good fight.  St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Francis de Sales and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Pray for us!

No comments: