St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Friday, September 01, 2006

Poetry Friday



September
poem lyrics by Elsa Beskow



Dear apple, on your branch,
please fall down into my hat.
For if I take you off the tree,
They'll not be pleased with that!

Apples red and apples green,
please fall down upon the ground.
For if I pick you off the tree,
I cannot say how you've been found.

Apples here and apples there,
please fall into my hand.
My little sisters stand and stare,
and wait for you to land.

Hips and haws and thistles tall
stand all around the tree.
All will soon be picked and stored.
Is there not just one for me?

Apples, apples everywhere,
please let me have just one,
and just two more, please tree,
then September will be done.


From: Around the Year (Floris Books), by Elsa Beskow

No comments: