St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Thursday, September 24, 2009



I'm beginning to enjoy the evenings this time of year. We have lit up our firepit several times now and roasted marshmallows....a dream of my daughter's...to basically burn marshmallows and indulge in them in the cool of the newly arriving autumn evenings.

Our school days are full and enjoyable (again, where last year they were stressful due mostly to Michael's blossoming illness. But now, things have calmed and we have made strides forward in many areas. Even with life's circumstances such as the passing of my mother-in-law, we seem to be able to progress and be grateful, be patient and kind to one another. Our evening rosary unites us in a bond of prayer and family community.

It's already the end of our fourth week of school; I'm marking the weeks by our literature reading of Five in A Row; we end this week with A Pair of Red Clogs. Next week we begin (the optional book in the program) A Storm in the Night. Our cozy atrium reading area has been a joy and comfort this year! Both my younger ones resort to it voluntarily at times that strike their fancy to do so. I am so glad we took the time to prepare the area. I see a great schooling ahead and we've just begun.

This year is very different than last, as I have mentioned before. I think changing the environment so it does not resemble or have the same feel as last year, has helped, because last year - especially last semester - carries with it some bad memories of Michael's falling ill and being hospitalized and many stressful moments at home. It's amazing how an environmental change can bring about a healthy change for the better.

And so we continue on...apparently doing well in the religion department, as when I ask my 5 year old what he learns at school, he often replies: .."I learn all about God". We will just keep that going....

No comments: