St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Friday, February 14, 2014

Once upon a time in February

It was Valentine’s Day, 1991, and I was very, very pregnant.  My due date was Feb 16th.  There was a horrible blizzard going on as the door bell rang…it was a floral delivery!….a beautiful flower arrangement in a ceramic Valentine planter…from my parents.  They were excitedly awaiting any news that I might be labor…..I was about to inform them…it was happening!

An hour and 19 minutes past midnight now on the fifteenth, our firstborn son arrived.  Not many came to visit at the hospital because of the 8 inches of snow!…but my parents definitely made it as my dad with his SUV four-wheel drive would of and could of gone anywhere to visit this new grandchild!….and we were kept an extra day because of the snow – everything was taking longer as double-shifts were being worked.  Eventually we were discharged and drove ever so slowly home with our new blessed gift …

…there were literally walls of snow on either side of us.  I do not think I had ever seen so much snow living in this location before.  I was SO grateful we made it to the hospital okay and back home again safely.

Our new life began with a first child. 

Every Valentine’s Day I recall how I went into labor on that day….how the snow was overwhelming and amazing….how the doctor asked before the day was up, if I’d “like to have assistance", “can we help you have the baby on Valentine’s Day?”…..I said, no, let’s just let this happen on it’s own. 

And tomorrow, 23 years later….it’s a new in my mind as if it had just happened.  The anticipation, the pain, the smells, the sights…..incredible events will do that to you, burrow deep inside your memory for safe-keeping.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all – and Happy Birthday to my oldest amazing artistic son…..

DOUGcropped

BIFFDOUGMEGTRYAGAINDOUGHSGRAD09

BIFFandDoug'13

 

 

 

 

 

 

DJDOUG2012

EPSON MFP image

doug2 (1)

No comments: