St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Beauty of "Visits"

On May 31st, we commemorate the Visitation of the Virgin Mary to her cousin Elizabeth. "Visits" have intrigued me recently, as I have set out to pay very intentional visits to those who I don't have a chance to see regularly, and I in turn, have been the recipient of visitors, some whom I haven't seen since early adulthood. Interestingly, "visits" have shown up in my meditational reading in a number of sources. And so it is, I think "visits" are... well...... worth visiting this month of May. I'll be blogging thoughts through this month on this topic; what makes visits good and holy and worth the effort; and worth pondering from a Christian perspective.

"This feast [The Visitation] which we close the month dedicated to Mary, proclaims to us her meditation, her spirit of service and her profound humility. It teaches us to carry the spirit of Christian happiness with us wherever we go, so that, like Mary, we shall be continually a source of joy for all mankind." (In Conversation with God, Special Feasts, Vol. 6)

No comments: