St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmastide…

….and counting the days of Christmas as they blossom into Epiphany.  It is during this time that Valentine Candy appears on the shelves and Christmas is swept to the clearance tables.  But those of us with faith filled eyes never reduce Christmas to clearance racks in our hearts.  We enjoy every day of Christmas the church has given us to meditate on, cherishing all that Christ gave and did for us.  I am so appreciative of this wonderful liturgical time.

We might be thinking of our new year’s resolutions, and among them I hope that faith renewal tops the list.  I know for myself this is very true and I find I’m grabbing my Magnificat prayer book more than I am my Nook or laptop these days. While I didn’t think the world would end…(and I have a cute story to tell about that later), I did think that the eras of deeper spirituality were coming to an end.  How secular our world has become; how lacking in faith and hope.   My heart felt prayers this end of the year are certainly for a more trusting faith, and that my hope for my own family and friends, and the world itself, is refreshed in a deeper way.

I leave you with this adorable story.  A few weeks back while doing lessons with my 9 yr old son (who has autism), we were talking about his bible story and his mind was pondering the Mayan prophecy and the Dec 21st end of the world possibility.  He said, “Mom, you know the end of the world thing…?those people aren’t right because remember what this prayer says: ‘ world without end’, Amen.?”   Well, indeed!  I just laughed and thought you know, he’s onto something there….

May we all heed these prayerful words:

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,

as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,

world without end. Amen.

christmastide

No comments: