St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the highest….

“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

John 15:13

This beautiful Palm Sunday marks another year of entering Holy Week and commemorating the passion and death of our Lord Jesus.  This Sunday was a particularly warm and sunny day, a double blessing.  But as the weather changes later in the week, so does our focus on this very special journey.

How many Holy Weeks I have encountered as a young child, a young adult, a young mother, a more mature mother who has brought her family along the way of the Lord.

How my heart still feels deep joy on Holy Thursday as we meet our Lord in the Eucharist as his Last Supper, our first communion ….

“And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

Luke 22:19

How my heart feels the sharp pain of the scourging, the crown of thorns, the long dreadful journey of carrying the heaviest cross of all, the sins of mankind.

“Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of he Skull, (in Hebrew, Golgotha).”

John 19:17

And how my heart expires with his, in his final moments of anguish and pain and absolute pure love …for me, for you, for all…

“When he has received the sour wine, Jesus said, “It is finished.”  With that, he bowed his head and gave up the spirit.”

John 19:30

I pray this Holy Week is a true transformation that touches your heart, brings you tears of both joy and sorrow and mostly gratitude for our great God giving us the gift of His own Son.  May we always hold our Christ in our hearts and know that our salvation has been bought for a price.

“I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you.”

Isaiah 44:22

No comments: