St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Something Old, Something New

By this time of year I like to take inventory of what I really need and have used through the year,  or don't need, need to change, need to keep, need to toss.  Yes, the year's end....a new beginning awaits.   There are some resources, material items that we all use over and over again in our families;  like soaps, toiletries, food of course.  You know: stuff.  Stuff we DO need and use daily.

When the ads are overwhelmingly compelling and glamorous this time of year, and they scream out to you to buy me buy me buy me!...free shipping, reduced prices, use this code!.....well, sometimes I get snagged. BUT, I have learned my lesson from doing that spontaneous _buy me_ also.  

Since my theatrical days, I have had a soft spot for make-up.  I actually don't wear much at all, but when doing "drama" you do tend to over use the cosmetics.  So somehow, it's written in my DNA that I must look at new make-up, better make-up, all the time.  Chances are I purchase something, use it a couple times, and I'm not impressed, or realize, it's just not needed.  



So, there are beauty staples I have used nearly my entire life thus far.  Witch Hazel (Dickinson's brand) is one of them.  I have used it since my teen years. I use witch hazel on a cotton facial pad every morning and blot my face off.  That's it.  Then I moisturize with Mary Kay Timewise moisturizer for dry skin (I have used Timewise moisture since it came out, which must be at least 15 years ago) That's my morning "facial routine."  Yes, I know.  Not so glamorous, eh?  Sure, I belong to Arbonne, Melaleuca, and even Young Living, I've bought the best of them, like Elizabeth Arden toners, Estee Lauder toners...and you know what?  ...a waste of money.  Maybe it's good DNA or skin luck, but I do not really have one wrinkle.  Well, maybe one starting....at age 55 that's not too bad.  Nor do I have gray hair, yet anyway.  So, economically speaking, good ole witch hazel and a good moderately priced moisturizer works for me.

Then, makeup foundation.  Well, I've certainly been around the block with those.  I never really wore it for many years anyway -- but of course I tried all the big name brand ones, and in the last 15 years I've always come back to and continue to use Covergirl Advanced Radiance (in Buff Beige).  It is just perfect for my skin, peptides and calming agents, moisture, and not heavy, sheer and natural finish.  For about $10.99 at the drug store, it's another economical staple of mine.



A couple items I can't get away from due to sensitivity is mascara and eye liner.  I am so fair, my eye do need some kind of definition, so lining lightly is helpful.  I have very sensitive eyes, so anything that isn't waterproof, or waterproof and easy on the eyes, causes a flare up of allergic conjunctivitis.  We can not have that.  So, I have found that Clinique's waterproof Brush On cream eyeliner works best for me.  I use to use the Smokey Gray color until is was discontinued, now I use the regular black, but go lightly on it.  I also use Clinique's High Impact mascara in black; it's just plush enough, and well not waterproof, it certainly stays put no matter what and no sensitivity.  These are two items I just have to go with and I'm glad to do so, as they aren't astronomically priced and easy to find.  I will add I like Clinique's Different lipstick's also  (Guava Stain) as they are flavor and fragrance free.  I don't really like to taste or smell my lipstick while I'm wearing it. :)




That brings me to skin care.  So, I do have some favorite, some more pricey, some not so much.  One such pricey skin care line is Arbonne's  Re9 Advanced Skincare  - I do love the lemony cleanser -- and I love the moisture from the FC5 line; the night time moisture with strawberry and kiwi cells.  It is so refreshing.

But, while I have these items and certainly use them, I also have a favorite milky cleanser from Avon.  It is the Avon Elements Nourishing Cleanser.  It is so comforting on my difficult skin right now, due to steroids and immunosuppressant drug use (my autoimmune treatment).   So I am all about self-care, comfort and calming down sensitivities.


Later, I will share my practical items, office resources and things that have made daily life easier, while working, schooling and staying in touch with friends and family. 


No comments: