St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Friday, February 17, 2012

Your Way to God: Spiritual Guidance


One day, while visiting SpiritDaily.org, I happened to notice a little icon link to an apostolate that was offering "spiritual guidance." I needed to follow that link! I was brought to the Cukierski Family Apostolate, where I could sign up, to receive by email, spiritual guidance articles. I anxiously awaited the arrival of the first one. To be honest, I think I might have deleted the first one shortly after I read it! What was I thinking? But, by the third day I was getting the hang of it and decided I better begin to print or save these insightful direction articles that were coming; it was the third day article I recall the best: it was called: What is the Forgotten Virtue?, written by the late Father Kilian McGowan, C.P. It began like this:

"The poet Wordsworth once wrote that the "best portion of a good man's life" is "his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." In his famous Canticle of Charity (Corinthians, Chapter 13) Saint Paul named it as one of the foremost daughters of charity: "Charity...is kind," he wrote.

Kindness is like a beautiful jewel carefully and beautifully wrapped. For to the gem of charity it adds a most attractive packaging of gentleness and considerateness. Kindness is, therefore, an overflow of a thoughtful and selfless love into a realm of speech and action. It is indeed a God-like quality."

The forgotten virtue: Kindness.

Of course, there's more to it......but to read the rest of the article and receive many other valuable ones, you must sign up to receive them! You can do so by going to: www.cukierski.net/free.html You will receive two months of free spiritual guidance articles written by the late Passionist priest: Fr. Kilian McGowan.

Some of the article titles include: How to start a Spiritual Revolution, How to Cure Spiritual Sloth, Prayer- the Greatest Art of All, God Wills Your Happiness, How to Overcome Discouragement, Profit by Your Sufferings, and many more. These articles are short and insightful and Fr. McGowan did a great service for those like myself who feel they need just a little more help along the path to holiness.

You might also be interested in obtaining a copy of the out of print book from which these articles originated. A book has been so much easier to tote along to Eucharistic Adoration and other prayerful moments. This book by Fr. McGowan is called: Your Way to God: A Book of Spiritual Guidance for the Layman, copyright 1964. I was able to find one through Abebooks.com

Now, back to more kindness:

"Kindness has a certain timeliness to it. It's at its beautiful best when it caters to an urgent need of the moment. It's simple, too; just as ordinary as sunshine, and just as necessary. A thoughtful letter...a brief visit...a word of encouragement or congratulations...a small or thoughtful gift...or just one's silent presence can bring instant joy to the recipient. ~Fr. Kilian McGowan, Your Way to God~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post and thanks for the great links, I'm going to look for Fr. McGowan's book, it sounds wonderful! I've highlighted this on my blog today, thanks again for sharing it!