St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fighting the hard stuff and winning

I can’t believe how fast the last week went.  I’m still stuck on that monumental Monday where I was able to go away for hours and leave my son with anxiety, and things have just continued with improvements from there.

MIKESPARKLERS

I was really wondering how this young man would do with high school at home this year, and well, he is doing an amazing job.  It’s like some miracle struck!  And I am very, very grateful. Those who know me, know the difficult stress and near-hostage situation I found myself in and how it has deeply affected our family  – being crippled along with the disorder my son suffers.  But all those hard years of therapy are paying off.  I’m convinced he will be better than the rest of us because he has all the storage of techniques and skills to cope with a host of stresses and fend them off.  He has matured so much in the last several months, and I’m just in awe of how blessed we are by the talented special young man.  The disorder itself has seemed like such a curse, bringing misunderstandings, judgments, shunning, gossip, ….that I’ve mostly taken the brunt of as a mother, and yet there are so many blessings that have come.  I have seen the true nature of those around me, in response to our difficulty, or in response to my challenge as a mother.  If anything I’ve learned real love and patience, and real friendship, and so has my son.  He is blessed by some very special young people in his life that accept him no matter what, and that is really saying something. Those young people are exemplary in their responses and they will be wonderful young adults and mature individuals out there in the world; we certainly need more of them.

So today, we forge onward, and continue school, take grandma (my mom) out to eat for our bi-monthly outing, and head to some appointments – we have so much to be thankful for as Autumn arrives and all the changes that have occurred over the last months begin to settle into a new normal. 

God bless you! Have a lovely day!

No comments: