St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Friday, June 10, 2011

Summer Homework…for me…

This is going to be my homework for the summer:
The New Social Story Book by Carol Gray

This book was recommended by my son’s neurologist to help him along in regard to his autism.  We will be checking back in with neurology this summer and we also have language expression therapy scheduled (on the waiting list right now), but also for the summer.  Truly, I am feeling overwhelmed in some ways, and maybe a little defeated, but I’m going to try my hardest to do this within our homeschooling, utilizing both private means (facilities our insurance will cover) and our homeschool co-op, where I can be present and help our son along with hands-on instruction in the critical moments of learning.  It’s a good and safe social environment.  I really don’t want to jeopardize our being able to participate in the homeschool co-op by going through the local school system for further testing and IEP’s, etc., for which you have to be enrolled to receive the actual IEP – yes, they’ll do the testing – and may give you the test results….but no ISP unless enrolled.  Still, once I get myself into this deeper, I may inquire for my own sanity :)
I’m not exactly feeling like superwoman right now, although it is a blessing to have 14 yrs or so of homeschooling under our belts so it isn’t as difficult to navigate that part of it.  God had a plan, and still does, and I’m sure I need more faith and grace to accept it and embrace my role within it.

No comments: