St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Cast into deeper water..."


I just love this encouragement. My sister in law sent this. Thanks!

Don't Quit After A Victory

There are two times when a person stops: after a defeat and after a victory. Successful people understand that there is greater opportunity right on the other side of a victory.

Robert Schuller says, "Don't cash in; cast into deeper water." Do not stop after a success; keep the forward momentum.

One of the great prizes of victory is the opportunity to do more. The trouble is that we have often inoculated ourselves with small doses of success, which keeps us from catching the big victory.

Picture a large boulder at the top of a hill. This boulder represents our lives. If we rock the boulder back and forth and get it moving, its momentum will make it almost unstoppable. The same is true for us.

The Bible promises us God's divine momentum. In Philippians 1:6 the Apostle Paul, writes: "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." God's momentum always results in growth.

There are five ways to have divine momentum in your life:
§ Be fruitful (2 Corinthians 9:10)
§ Speak the truth (Ephesians 4:15)
§ Be spiritually mature (Hebrews 6:1)
§ Crave the Word of God (1 Peter 2:2)
§ Grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus (2 Peter 3:18)

God's definition of spiritual momentum is found in 2 Peter 1:5 (NIV):
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let go of whatever makes you stop. . .

-John Mason, from the book An Enemy Called Average

2 comments:

ls said...

I can always find inspiration here! So glad to have read this today!! My dh said this looked like a good book to get so we're ordering it soon.

Have a great day and if I don't talk to you again today, have a wonderful weekend.

Pray for me, I'm off to a silent retreat this weekend. Will I know what to do with all that quiet? I'm so used to praying within the middle of our family circus :o)
hugs and prayers

Home School Mom: Denise said...

Finally! I figure out why I couldn't post any comments -- it's my pop-up filter blocking it. Well, now that, that mystery is solved...er ahem...

I was thinking this book might be good for my husband also. Everything I've read from it so far is so worthwhile. I think ladies can glean from it also :-)

Have a great retreat!

God bless!
Denise