St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Monday, February 25, 2013

Childhood Memories all the richer

It’s hard to believe that this little girl, entirely home schooled into college, has grown into the young lady below, now working in the writing center of the college as a writing consultant.  My daughter, where has the time gone?
jamiewithleaves

JAMIESMILE
This Memoir Monday, I look back fondly to the childhood of a little girl who we wanted very much, our second child.  As my pregnancy progressed it was clear there were difficulties and we dedicated this one to the intercession of St. Catherine Laboure of the Miraculous Medal.  Not only did the pregnancy sustain, but became over due by 11 days. That was a miracle considering the child was in grave danger at 5 months gestation.  I accepted every minute of it, every extra day, in the peak of 90 degree summer weather….in thanksgiving as the pregnancy became so blessed by God.  It was almost as if God were saying:  how far will you go with me?  How strong will you endure now that I’ve answered your prayer?

Letting go as they age is the hardest part in my opinion of raising children,  and there isn’t a day that doesn’t go by while she is at college that I don’t pray for her and think of her and am grateful to God for her.  One daughter among three sons, she has been a true blessing.

So I remember every little childhood event, from the gathering of the leaf bouquet above on a fair autumn day, to the glimpse of watching her walk up the pathway during the matriculation convocation ceremony amongst hundreds of the college as she became a member of the student body of the college.  She is studying in her field of English literature major, writing minor, religion minor.  I hope all her dreams come true.

Memories ……..made sweeter and deeper by sharing.


You can also find my entry linked to my friend Chris’s blog for her Memoir Mondays at:

2 comments:

Chris said...

Oh my goodness, Denise; your daughter is lovely,a s are your words in your reflection.
How beautiful.

Thank you again for linking to the Monday Memoir hop....I really appreciate it.
feel better!! I hope you all get well soon.
xoxo
C

Unknown said...

Hi Denise, I found your blog through Chris' Memoir Mondays. Congratulations on raising such a fine young lady! May the Lord continue to shower blessing upon her, as she continues her journey in life.