St Gabriel Windows

St Gabriel Windows
Photocopy c. 2013 Jamie Laubacher

Monday, August 12, 2013

Eating better…

…I’ve been trying for quite a while to get into better eating habits.  My husband um, not so much.

With both dairy and gluten problems here in a couple children, I’m looking more and more to the Paleo diet choices and came across this delicious looking recipe.  I know my friends and cousins with gluten, and dairy problems have subbed coconut flour and milk for their recipes.

I just know it would do me a world of good to eat healthier – both my stress levels and thyroid levels could use a break I’m sure.  I recently had a scare with high blood pressure and a pounding migraine for a week.  It finally passed, but codeine syrup was prescribed and a prescription for “take a break from stress”  …thank you doctor, I will do that right away!!  LOL

At any rate, I’m going to likely be sharing some of these recipes from time to time if not to bookmark them for myself and easy locating.

I know my son with anxiety definitely has a dairy and gluten problem and makes himself miserable from time to time eating things that really he should pass up on.  I’ve tried to always send gluten free items with him (even to religious ed classes this last year), where he can at least have something.

One thing he missed is ice cream.  Not sure about the coconut because some are allergic to it.  But might give it a try.  He drinks Rice Dream Enriched rice beverage as his staple milk substitute.  And they do make a non-dairy frozen dessert which is pretty good.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (Paleo, Grain-Free)

My chocolate chip cookie dough calls for almond flour. If you have a nut allergy, simply replace the dough in this recipe with your favorite nut-free cookie dough. Serves 6

1 batch chocolate chip cookie dough frozen into balls, and then chopped into small pieces

3 cups full-fat coconut milk or raw heavy cream (if you can consume dairy)
1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
Pinch of Celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Whisk together milk, maple syrup, salt and vanilla until incorporated. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. After freezing, remove the blade and stir in the cookie dough. Serve.

FROM: DeliciouslyOrganic.net

No comments: